Peacemonger Mom

My son just enlisted in the military. I'm a peace activist. Why couldn't he have rebelled in some other way, like being republican?

Friday, August 04, 2006

Aha!

So in order to bring peace to the Middle East, we need only to bring the sport of down hill snow skiing to the region. Oh, and fire Rumsfeld. What the hell is he talking about, blaming the fighting on the weather. Maybe we should hand out fans to the insurgents?

Still no word from TB. He leaves next week for basic, and I heard from my friend L who has a husband overseas in Iraq, and who is in the same unit (or whatever they call it - I'm still not up on the military jargon) that TB likely will be attached to - she told me to make sure that TB lists me as the Primary Next of Kin (I'll remember THAT one: it's referred to as PNOK), and made some other suggestions for staying in the loop, militarily speaking. I'm afraid that he'll list his father as next of kin, which will mean that either (a) I'll never hear anything about what's going on - I'll have to learn about his whereabouts from Jim Lehrer, or (b) I'll have to be in touch with his father on a regular basis, which makes me very uncomfortable.

I'm not as freaked out about my thesis writing now, but I'm certainly not sleeping much better. I feel about as out of touch with things as I ever have - my mind feels like it's in a big puddle of mud. This job is totally stressing me out. TB is totally stressing me out. I need a vacation.

2 Comments:

Blogger Reaper 16 said...

I am very proud of your son and think he is absolutely doing the right thing. You can rest assured that if he is ever in any trouble when/if he gets deployed, I will be overhead in an AH-64D Lonbow Apache ready to kill for his safety. Its my job and the only reason I am in the US Army is to protect my brothers on the ground. I deploy for my second tour this fall.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Peacechick Mary said...

I can empathize with your distress. My son was in the Gulf War and I didn't have a peaceful day or night until he returned. My thoughts are with you.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home